How fit is your brain – have you ever wondered? A fit brain will mean faster thinking, better memory, sharper vision, faster reflexes, better vocabulary, better mood and even safer driving.
Brain fitness is a combination of memory ability, spatial awareness, creativity, reflexes, and reflection.
The good news is boosting your brain’s performance can be kind of fun. Here are some ideas:
- Learn a new skill – a new language, a new instrument, join a cooking or dance class.
- Play games like puzzles Sudoku, crosswords, Solitaire, and Mah-jong, (there are many memory games available for ipads and phones these days)
- Exercise – this will work on your spatial awareness, your body will learn new muscle skills, and practice balance.
- Switch off the TV and read something different – choose a book you wouldn’t normally read.
- Challenge your brain with a new route to the grocery store, attempt daily activities like opening doors and brushing your teeth with your opposite hand, learn phone numbers off by heart, break routine by having breakfast for dinner.
- Become a storyteller – Each morning, think of one story you will tell that day using lots of emotion, expressions and description – according to Longevity, storytelling is a technique used to treat Alzheimer’s disease
- Eat for your brain – oily coldwater fish like salmon, trout, sardines are packed with omega 3 fatty acids; Blueberries contain loads of antioxidants; Tomatoes contain lycopene, essential for cognitive performance.
- Take your daily dose of McNab’s SuperCharge – it’s no secret, we aren’t getting enough micronutrients in our daily diets. Make sure to give your brain exactly what it needs by taking your daily dose of vitamins.