5 Myths about hydration, busted!

5 Myths about hydration, busted!

We’re not denying that just a 1 to 2 percent drop in hydration levels can lead to dehydration symptoms such as impaired performance, fatigue and general thirstiness, water is essential but not magical.

This week is World Water Week, and it’s not just about conservation. It’s about appreciating that water is life and using it wisely. In an effort to shed some light on some of the myths and facts about water, we wanted to make a list of five most fabled beliefs. After all, it pays to know a little more about this amazing substance!

Myth: You need to drink eight glasses of water a day

No, you don’t! This is perhaps the biggest myth about water that we have all heard at some point. The is no question that we all need a healthy dose of hydration daily, but how much is an individual thing. Some people need less, some people need more to maintain the optimal hydration status. To figure out the magic ounce-count of aqua that your body needs, you should take many factors into consideration. The larger you are, the more water you need for every function in your body, not to mention replacing sweat. However, if you are smaller or don’t sweat a lot, even less than eight glasses may suffice to maintain water balance.

Myth: You can get ‘drunk’ on water

Actually, yes… Usually if you have a psychiatric disorder, or if you’re under abuse or torture. You know what they say about too much of a good thing, right? Well, drinking so much water that you die can happen, although very rare. Water intoxication or water poisoning can only happen when you drink excessive amounts of water; way too much than your normally self-regulating body can cope with. How do you know that you have drunk too much? You usually start to bloat and feel nauseous. If this starts to happen, stop drinking all liquids and get help.

Image result for drunk water

Myth: Yellow pee means you’re not drinking enough

Not necessarily. Dark and infrequent urine means you need more water. And as long as it is a pale yellow, like lemonade, you’re hydrated. If it’s completely clear, it just means you’re full to the brim; what’s going in is coming out. In this case, you could actually be overhydrated, and it’s a good idea to stop right there. Instead of just looking at the colour, look at volume. The more you put in your body, the more that should come out. If you seldom go to the restroom, that’s a sign you are probably not consuming enough fluids.

Image result for yellow stream

Myth: Caffeine will dehydrate you

Nope. This is a commonly-held belief, and it is plain wrong, especially for the casual coffee or tea drinker. Although large doses of caffeine alone can dehydrate, the water in your coffee and tea more than make up for any dehydrating effects. In addition, if you always have a latte in the morning or a McNab’s SuperCharge energy drink at lunch, your body can become easily adapted to the caffeine with no dehydrating effect at all.

Image result for funny coffee

Myth: Only drink extra during exercise

Don’t believe it! If you think sipping on a diet coke or tea is enough to keep you hydrated because you don’t work out frequently, you might be missing out on some much-needed aqua-induced nutrition. This habit can actually lead to mild dehydration during the day, leaving you tired, unmotivated and lethargic. You need water for daily functioning, so even a little bit every now and then will ensure hydration the rest of the day.

Image result for exercise water

What other reasons do you have for not drinking more water, or what other myths have you heard about? We would love to hear about it on our Twitter and Facebook.

11 Comments

• zvodretiluret Posted August 25, 2018 9:28 pm

I am not rattling great with English but I line up this rattling leisurely to read .

• Alphonse Burbage Posted December 29, 2018 4:04 pm

I do love the manner in which you have framed this situation and it does present us a lot of fodder for thought. Nonetheless, coming from what I have personally seen, I basically hope as the feed-back stack on that folks continue to be on issue and don’t embark on a tirade of some other news of the day. Yet, thank you for this outstanding point and while I do not go along with this in totality, I regard the perspective.

• Bell Posted January 23, 2019 11:49 am

I do not even know the way I stopped up here, however I believed this submit was good.
    I don’t recognize who you are however certainly you’re going to a well-known blogger if you aren’t
    already. Cheers!

• minecraft Posted March 25, 2019 7:45 am

I do not even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was good.
    I do not know who you are but certainly you are going to a famous blogger if you aren’t already 😉 Cheers!

• minecraft Posted March 28, 2019 6:01 pm

No matter if some one searches for his required thing, thus he/she wants to be available
    that in detail, so that thing is maintained over here.

• minecraft Posted April 26, 2019 9:15 am

Link exchange is nothing else however it is just placing the other person’s weblog link
    on your page at suitable place and other person will also do similar
    in favor of you.

• http://tinyurl.com/ Posted April 26, 2019 8:47 pm

I visited multiple blogs but the audio feature for audio
    songs existing at this website is genuinely fabulous.

• minecraft Posted April 29, 2019 7:34 am

I was able to find good information from your content.

• minecraft Posted April 29, 2019 10:15 pm

My spouse and I stumbled over here from a different web address and thought I might as well
    check things out. I like what I see so now i am following you.
    Look forward to finding out about your web page yet
    again.

• gamefly free trial Posted May 20, 2019 10:37 am

What’s up, just wanted to say, I loved this blog post.
    It was practical. Keep on posting!

• how to get help in windows 10 Posted May 21, 2019 2:49 pm

Simply desire to say your article is as astonishing.
    The clearness in your post is simply spectacular
    and i can assume you’re an expert on this subject. Fine with your permission allow me to
    grab your RSS feed to keep updated with forthcoming post.
    Thanks a million and please carry on the rewarding work.